Skip to main content

Three Things Series.... 3 Things I would like to use

In the second part of my three things series I would like to focus on three things that I would like to own to add to my current toolkit.
  1. Nokia 770
  2. Nokia E60
  3. Jabra SP500 Bluetooth speaker phone.
Why?

Nokia 770: apart from the fact that it looks cool :) there is a real use for this sort of device. Now that it has significantly improved and new applications are creeping into the domain I can see me using it in one of two modes; and not necessarily exclusively
  1. Communication: Gizmo phone and the ability to use Gmail and GoogleTalk mean that I have a means of communicating in my palm. This becomes useful when I am on a client site; like today where I need to be on their network to get to their servers but I need to use an external wireless network because their firewall and proxy doesn't allow me to use some sites. In this mode I can leave the 770 connected to the external network and still have my laptop connected to their LAN. The size lends itself to being used on the hoof and at airport lounges to catch up on email.
  2. Reference: one of the best parts is the screen. The resolution is great and it is very clear. This makes me think it would be a great book reader and reference media (be it stored locally or browsed from the web). The 770 has swappable memory in the form of Reduced Size MMC, a common feature on Nokia phones. This means that you can group reference material together on a set of RS-MMC cards. Like all flash media the capacity is increasing. A quick Google finds this 1Gb card, with adapter than still allows me to use and share the content on my SD adapter.
Nokia E60: despite the debate about dual mode phones, I still believe that there is a use for them. The E60 comes with a SIP Phone which gives you a lot of ability when combined with Asterisk. The WLAN interface is very clunky, a feature that will need to change if dual mode handsets are going to take off. Even if you don't plan to use the WiFi capabilities the fact that the phone is EU and US GSM as well as CDMA (Japan et al) makes the phone and ideal choice for the frequent traveler.

If the WiFi connectivity options are tidied up, with the increasing number of public WiFi networks (Philly, Oulu, Norwich to name but a few) and with UMA and WiFi starting to converge [finally] a dual mode handset will become the personal device of choice, I hope.

Jabra SP500: firstly what is it? The Jabra SP500 is a Bluetooth speakerphone.

That means wireless microphone and speaker combined. Because it's bluetooth I can use it with my laptop or my mobile phone. The blurb on the Jabra website has an image of a screen mount in a car. This saves all of the wiring normally involved with a car installation, and it means that when I'm traveling I can easily install it in a hire car.

All-in-all I think it would be a great addition to my toolkit as the ability to have a quick Skype based conference around a table would be enormously beneficial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crisis Connections

What the flood situation in Thailand has shown once again is the power of social networks to fill the void of communication. In recent times the role of Facebook, Twitter, and Blackberry messenger has been shown in good and bad light.  The same methods that released the Arab Spring have also been used to coordinate the London Riots . Love them or loathe social networks are here to stay and what the floods show is how they keep people connected.  Some will say there should be no communication void if central government is on top of its game, but with a situation that can change so rapidly, and over such a large area the traditional press certainly struggle to keep the public up to date. Twitter and Facebook have been saviours for those of us outside Thailand at this time.  With roving reporters and connected people like Patee Sarasin and Jetrin out doing and tweeting many more people are kept up to date. Equally useful is the ability to time shift news updates through TV ch

The Loki Planet Guide

The mighty Om thinks that WiFi location based services will be the next kickstart in the industry. I agree that this could be the killer app, the SMS of WiFi/Max, that could really be a key integration point for Muni nets, FON networks and the newest WiFi enabled handsets. He mentions Loki so I went off to have a quick look. It seems pretty interesting and it made me revisit a previous idea for book readers . Combining LBS with a brand like The Lonely Planet would be a pretty powerful partnership; apply the whole thing in a PDA or some other WiFi enabled device that makes book reading easy (something like Nokia's 770 ) and you have your own tour guide in your pocket that is as close to being smart as you can get. It will be able to know which country you're in and allow you to subscribe to the guide for that country, or mini-guide for that city. Once walking around the LBS granularity would enable a smart book mark to move you to the section of the guide for where you

Muni, Muni, Muni

2006 is going to see an explosion in the activity of Municipal, Muni, Networks. This article from the BBC states that IP access is becoming a basic amenity, in the same way as water and electricity. Philly is the next to be online; with a 135 square mile network being built out by Earthlink and turned on next year. Not far behind is San Francisco with, you've guessed it, Google as one of the prime bidders. They believe they can take their successful advertising revenue stream to provide free IP access to the proletariat. On a brief aside the partnership of Google and NASA, can we expect to see Google in Space? With the benefits of WiFi access to schools, hospitals and police forces around the US it won't take long for a few well publicized examples of how access helped them for the ball to start rolling. I would agree with Paul that the secret to success is a partnership with the existing carriers. Otherwise the likes of SprintNextel could easily freeze the new comers out. Th